Fill out a simple, secure small claims questionnaire


Fast Legal Filing's paralegal will review, research and prepare your case.


Once your Small Claims is drafted, we will send you the doucments with instrcutions.


Small Claims Court Montana

Montana Small Claims Statute of Limitation. - Minimum Amount For Small Claims Court Montana

In Montana, small claims cases cannot be more than $7,000. It must be a fixed amount that’s easily determined, as a balance on a bill. Small claims court cases do not address “damages” claimed for some sort of wrong. Claims may be filed in the county where the defendant lives or where he or she may be served.
State law determines the amount. The rule of thumb is that you should be asking for less than $ $7,000 in small claims court. Some states, such as Montana, offer you a maximum of $3,000 in small claims.

Small Claims Court Montana Fees

Small claims court is a quick, inexpensive and informal way to resolve disputes over small amounts of personal property or money. Juries and lawyers are not necessary. The clerk of the justice court will collect a filing fee of $20 from the plaintiff upon the filing of the sworn complaint. The defendant also pays a $15 filing fee when the defendant files an answer to the complaint.
A small claims case is a lawsuit brought for the recovery of money damages, civil penalties, personal property, or other relief allowed by law. The claim can be for no more than $10,000.

How much does it cost to go to small claims court in Montana?

There is a $30 filing fee for a case asking for up to $1500. To claim over $1500, and up to $5,000, there is a filing fee of $50.  If your claim is above $5,000, the filing fee is $75. If you file more than 12 cases in a year, subsequent cases will cost $100.

Montana Small Claims Form

You can get small claims form for Montana in $7000 against one defendant. If you would like to file small claims in online court of Montana, you can file your small claims by hiring small claims attorney and file a state of claims. You can serve the complaint by mail using: Certified, Restricted Delivery/Return Receipt Requested. If the defendant is a corporation, the statutory agent must be served.